Saturday 24 October 2015

Alice in Modernland

Here is a piece I created for the SCBWI contest 'Undiscovered Voices'- a brilliant opportunity for undiscovered illustrators and writers to get their work out there and create their first book!

There were different titles to choose from, and the one I picked was Alice of Wonderland Road - Remarkable Tales of a Runaway. With this theme I immediately thought of a modern twist to the story where Alice runs off looking for a different country to go to.

Here is the initial sketch of my idea. This is a style I've been working with for a while now and like the idea of developing with different themes. I tried to add as many relevant objects relating to the fairy tale, for example: roses, teapot, clocks, etc.


Let the carbon copying begin!


The submitted piece had to be in black and white. I used watered down acrylic paints to achieve this.


The final piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment